Friday, October 14, 2016

The Greatest Prospecting Campaign I’ve Ever Run

Mullets, rock ‘n roll, and bank robberies. No … this isn’t a Quentin Tarantino movie (though that sounds kind of awesome), this is the story behind the greatest prospecting campaign I’ve ever run.

For those that don’t know me, I’m Ryan O’Hara. I helped start the business development team at Dyn, one of the worldwide leaders in Internet Performance … yeah the guys that have raised over $90 Million in funding, and one of the fastest growing startups in New Hampshire.

Today I work for a software company called LeadIQ that helps make it really easy for sales teams to find lead data off the web, and get it into Salesforce.

But enough of the preamble. Let’s get to the meat of why you’re here: to read about why my prospecting campaign at Dyn was the best I’ve ever run.

When Cold Emails Just Don’t Work…

It was December of 2011, and I was working as a Business Development guy. You know the drill. I was sending cold emails, cold calling, trying to bring in opportunities for the sales team.

But bringing in new business is super tough, especially in December, during the dreaded Out Of Office Storm of 2011.  If you work in prospecting or sales, you know!

With that being said, management at Dyn knew I wanted to do some sort of pipedream, bats***, outside the box prospecting campaign, and they gave me the thumbs up to spend my time in December experimenting. And so it began.

Experiment with New Attention-Grabbing Methods

I went to every sales rep at the time. Back then, I think there were seven, and I asked them, “If you could have one account, who would it be?”

(Keep in mind this was before the account-based selling was the rage with the kids!)

The reps came back with one account each. The accounts were:

  1. CareerBuilder.com
  2. Hulu
  3. Posterous
  4. Funny or Die
  5. Living Social
  6. Expedia

*Note: One sales rep on the team never got back to me. Too bad for them.

This campaign was designed to solve one simple problem:

How do we get a small tech company in New Hampshire to start a relationship with all these companies?

Use Personalized Video Content

We used personalized content for each of the target accounts. This is an example of the incredible content we made for prospects:

If you want to learn about more of the process we used to get five of six of the companies to respond, join me on the upcoming webinar on October 20th at 8am PT/11am ET with Vidyard: How to Use Video to Wrap up 83% of Your Deals Before Year End.

We’re going to talk about the content creation, the plan, how we came up with it, how we assembled the team, how we promoted it, and how you can easily do this same thing to bring in more opportunities for your pipeline.

You don’t have to be Wes Anderson or Martin Scorcese to make videos to win customers over. You just need your brain, a little bit of time, and a little creativity.

prospecting webinar

The post The Greatest Prospecting Campaign I’ve Ever Run appeared first on Vidyard.



from Vidyard http://ift.tt/2efpMNr
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment